Test your smarts! Try to figure out the following riddles before scrolling down to the bottom of the page for the answers.
- I am a country. My 1st, 2nd, and 7th letters form an external point. My 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th is what you will be when you solve this puzzle. My 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, and 4th is in heaven. My 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th is on earth. What country am I?
- I am a three digit number. If you take away the first digit the remaining number is 1/5 of the original three digit number. If you take away the next digit, the remaining number is 1/5 of the two digit number. What number am I?
- If you go to the movies and you're paying, is it cheaper to take one friend to the movies twice, or two friends to the movies at the same time?
- While exploring the wilds of Canada, Wild Man Dave was captured by hostile wood fairies. Brad, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be boiled in water. If the statement were true, he would be fried in oil. Wild Man Dave found neither of this options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation. What is the one statement he could have made?
- If two hours ago, it was as long after one o'clock in the afternoon as it was before one o'clock in the morning, what time would it be now?
- A woman went to visit her bank manager and she took her young daughter with her. The bank manager said that the woman's daughter could stay with his secretary during the meeting. When the woman and her daughter left, the secretary turned to the other secretary and said to her, "That little girl was my daughter." How could that be?
- A tree doubled in height each year until it reached its maximum height over the course of ten years. How many years did it take for the tree to reach half its maximum height?
- What number, written in words, has its letters in backwards alphabetical order?
- Why can't you take a picture of a man with a wooden leg?
- Something very extraordinary happened on the 6th of May, 1978 at 12:34 a.m. What was it?
Answers to Riddles:
- It's cheaper to take two friends at the same time. In this case, you would only be buying three tickets, whereas if you take the same friend twice you are buying four tickets.
- Wild Man Dave said: "You will boil me in water." The fairies were faced with a dilemma. If they boil him in water, that would make his statement true, which means he should have been fried in oil. They can only fry him in oil if he makes a true statement, but if they do, it would make his final statement false. The fairies had no way our of their situation so they were forced to set Wild Man Dave free.
- Nine o'clock. Since there are twelve hours between the two times, and half of that time equals six, then the halfway mark would have to be seven o'clock. If it were seven o'clock, two hours ago, the time would now be nine o'clock.
- The secretary was the girl's father.
- Nine Years.
- Because you need a camera...wooden legs don't take very good pictures!
- At that moment, the time and day could be written as: 12:34, 5/6/78